Sell Your Unused Stuff to Make Money
You Can Earn Significant Money Selling Belongings That You Rarely Use
As much as we'd like to believe that we're going to use stuff again, much of our belongings just sit there for years. Make some extra money selling stuff you don't use!
How to Make Money Selling Your Stuff:
- There are many mediums available to sell your stuff. You may be able to get more money by using ebay, but they charge a lot of fees and often high shipping costs make it less profitable. For that reason, we like to use craigslist to sell our things. It is free, you can repost as much as you want, and there is no shipping as you sell it locally and people come and take it away. Local online classified sites are also a good way to sell your things. Check with your friends and neighbors to see what local sites are used in your area. You can do a search for your city name and the item you are trying to sell to see if a popular site comes up for your area.
- When selling on craigslist, be sure to price your item properly. If it cost $1000 new and it is five years old, don't ask $900 for it. With that said, ask a little more than you expect to get for it, because most people buying on craigslist will offer you less than asking. To find reasonable prices, look at other comparable sales on ebay and craigslist, or local classifieds.
- Always include multiple, high quality pictures in your ad. People are ten times more likely to buy an item if they can see it, and know that it is in good shape.
- Write a good description of the product you are selling, and be honest. Mention any problems with it.
- Find the product you are selling at an online, reputable store, like Amazon, and mention the current price in your ad. For example, if you are selling a kids toy in great shape for $10 you can mention that it is going for $40 new at Amazon.
- You can repost your ad often to bring it to the top of the category list. This is most important to do on the weekend. We usually repost our ads during the weekend, as that's when most people are looking for stuff.
- Now that you know how to sell your stuff, find stuff to sell. Search your garage, closets, tools, video games, electronics. Find things that you haven't used in over a year. Not only will you free up space in your house or apartment, but you'll make money doing it. It can get pretty addictive.
- If you have a lot of things to sell, you can have an open house, garage sale, or whatever you want to call it. Post the items all in one post, and then separate posts for each valuable item. That way you don't have to wait around for weeks for people to maybe show up to look at your items. They can all come during the allotted time. You'd be surprised how many people scour towns for sales like these.
- If you have kids, sell their toys and clothes as they outgrow them. We often get about half the price of new for the things in good shape.
- We like to take all the money we make selling our stuff and put it in an envelope and save it for a special purchase. You could even start an investment account with the money you make and continue to watch it grow over the years.
- Read our article on how to find lots more ways to save money.
See Also: Money Saving Tips and Ideas